Thursday, May 31, 2012

Freezer Cooking: Pizza Casserole

We obviously like pizza in this household and by obviously, I mean Chandler loves pizza. I could live without it, but I tried to make some things I knew he would like. I came across a recipe I had found awhile back on www.cullyskitchen.com and decided to try it out as a freezer recipe. Instead of baking it right away, however, I cooked some ingredients and then just layered it, like you would find a pizza in the frozen food section of your local grocery. Warning: This recipe is rather meat and cheese heavy. Almost a little too much for me, but he will like it.

Anyway, with this recipe, I really did do a step-by-step picture progression. I hope it helps!


3 MEAT PIZZA CASSEROLE:

Ingredients
1 lb bow tie pasta
1 lb mild pork sausage
1 large onion, medium size chopped
2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce (I used Bertolli’s Mushroom and Garlic)
1 lb cubed cooked ham
1/2-1 lb of sliced pepperoni
3 (8 ounce) bags of shredded mozzarella cheese
6 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Directions
1. Cook pasta in boiling water until al dent é.
2. Cook sausage, garlic powder and oregano with onions until the juices run clear.
3. In a lightly greased 9x13x3 inch pan, pour a small amount of sauce to lightly coat bottom.
4. Layer ingredients in the order listed below.
5. 1st layer-1/3 of the pasta, 1/3 remaining sauce, 1 bag of mozzarella cheese, 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese, sausage and onions.
6. 2nd layer-1/2 of the remaining pasta, 1/2 remaining sauce, 1 bag of mozzarella cheese, 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese, ham.
7. 3rd layer-all remaining pasta, all remaining sauce, 1 bag of mozzarella cheese, 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese, all the pepperoni(completely covering the entire top with pepperoni).
8. Bake at 375°F for 40 minutes.
9. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
3. In a lightly greased 9x13x3 inch pan, pour a small amount of sauce to lightly coat bottom.

 Prep time!

 While the pasta is cooking, it's time to cook your sausage. Here we have a sausage roll, as well as left over sausage links I had, onions and garlic.

Let's mix it up! Delicious! Note: I started with my cast iron skillet and ended up switching to my wok to have more room.

While that was cooking up in my cast iron skillet, I diced up pieces of ham.


Here starts the layering process. You might have to adjust if you plan to use to pans. It originally calls for one.


Here I drained my pasta. There's bow tie pasta, but I had some quinoa in my cabinet as well, so I added that to the mix.


Pasta.

More sauce.

Mozzarella and Parmesan.

All of the sausage.

More pasta.


Ham layered. There was leftovers, so the dogs were happy.

I got tired of the rest of the layering pictures, but you get the idea.

Cover and Label!

Sorry for the excessive pictures, everyone! Let me know if you have any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment