Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Freezer Cooking: Chicken Casserole

This next part was a big step in the freezer cooking process and one I'm still skeptical on.  I won't believe it'll turn out tasty until I recook it and see. This was my first attempt at making a casserole. (For freezer cooking. Not ever.) Again, as I've stated before, I was looking to utilize chicken I already had before it went bad. So, I decided on a casserole called...

CHICKEN & CHEESE NOODLE BAKE:

(I got this recipe off of www.tasteofhome.com)


Ingredients

  • 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti, broken
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 cup butter, cubed
  • 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups 2% milk
  • 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken and mushroom soup, undiluted
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

Directions


  • Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the onions and red peppers in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chicken, soups, sour cream, celery salt and pepper.
  • Drain spaghetti; add to sauce mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to two greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheeses. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly.
To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).  





First, start with all of your ingredients at hand.


  Luckily, my dad bought me a Dutch Oven last year as a gift. It really is important to have enough room to cook in your pot, pan, etc.


Next step, add flour to start to thicken it up.


And then milk to make a thick base.


Lastly, mix in the spaghetti (I had a mix of left over whole wheat and bleached, so I used it all up). Layer with your cheese mix, cover and store.


I didn't take a last picture, but after covering the casserole, make sure to list a date, temperature and cook time. Also, label what it is or you might end up baking the wrong casserole for dinner, if you make more than one kind. I portioned my casseroles, so we don't eat too much. Although, looking at these, they STILL seem like too much casserole. I'll send it to work with Chandler.


Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment